Aim: Use Flickr as a resource to practice for oral examinations
Activity: Comparing and contrasting two similar photos
Level: Upper intermediate to advanced
This lesson focuses on building class work around visual materials found at Flickr.
Flickr is an online photo repository popular with literally millions of users. One of the great advantages to using Flickr is that you can find images licensed for use under the creative commons licensing framework. Creative Commons provides a number of licensing schemes that allow some materials to be used for all purposes (even commercial), others to be used only for non-commercial purposes, etc. As an educator, it’s important to set a good example for our students. Flickr provides the perfect forum in which to set this example, as well as having access to first class materials. This lesson focuses on using Flickr to help prepare for oral examinations such as those found on the Cambridge First Certificate, CAE and Proficiency exams.
Here are some example questions:
- I’d like you to take a look at this photo. Could you tell me what is happening?
- What do you think has caused this situation?
- How do you imagine the people in the photo feel?
- Take a look at your partner’s photo. Please compare how the two situations are similar.
- Take a look at your partner’s photo. Please discuss how the photo differs from your own.
- What advice would you give the people in the photo?
- If you were going to participate in this activity, what would you wish to do?
- Have you ever done this activity? If so, please speak about your experience.
Meer info vind je op About.com